discussion status & my recommendations

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue May 10 07:22:55 PDT 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Paul Harrison wrote:
> I think that Kevin is right and there should be a universal policy on
> what to do when the verification level is changed for a record in a
> registry that does not belong to that registry - especially in the case
> that there has been a human intervention, as this is very costly in
> terms of effort, and unless everyone applies the same rules to the
> propagation of the verification level there is a chance that it will get
> downgraded when harvesting occurs.

Perhaps one reason I'm not seeing the concern over what to do if the
verification level is changed is because it is defined such that changing
it will be the norm--it is the good registry's responsibility to check the
quality of the record.  Blindly accepting the level provided by the
publisher is the lazy option and should be discouraged.

However, if you have some recommended policy points, let's discuss them
(either on the list or next week in Kyoto).  It will certainly help
elucidate the concerns.

The downgrading issue certainly sounds like one we need to talk through.