discussion status & my recommendations

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Tue May 10 00:57:35 PDT 2005

Ray Plante wrote:
> Hey Kevin,
>
> On Mon, 9 May 2005, KevinBenson wrote:
>
>>The only one I am still unclear about is verificationLevel and not sure if I
>>agree with the notion still that any registry can change this value (at
>>least not on the vr:Resource).
>

> I think, then, this would make an excellent topic of discussion in Kyoto.
> Let's plan to take it up.
>

>>A final comment is this makes some extra work to change the logic around to
>>have the ability to change an external Resource (not owned/managed). And
>>then figure out if you should take or not take the verificationLevel from
>>another full registry. But yes probably could be done with not to much
>>headache.
>

> I would expect that the choice of accepting the verificationLevel set by
> the provider is a policy one made up front and not incorporated into your
> harvesting software (although you are free to do so).  That is, either you
> decide to blindly accept what is there for all records, or you do the
> verification yourself and score it appropriately independent of what the
> provider says (it's not really their call).

I think that Kevin is right and there should be a universal policy on
what to do when the verification level is changed for a record in a
registry that does not belong to that registry - especially in the case
that there has been a human intervention, as this is very costly in
terms of effort, and unless everyone applies the same rules to the
propagation of the verification level there is a chance that it will get
downgraded when harvesting occurs.

I think that there is an argument for introducing a (repeatable)
"stamping" element early - after all the setting of the verification
level is a form of peer review, and it is valuable to know that a 3rd
party has raised the verification level rather than simply the original
authors doing that - at the moment we have no way of capturing that
information.

Paul

--
Paul Harrison