Question: harvesting managed vs. all resource records

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 31 07:28:37 PST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, John Good wrote:
> Does the Registry infrastructure keep track of the "point of origin"
> (the Registry where the data was first entered)?

Yes.

> You could then
> allow additional constraints that specified the point(s) of origin in
> general ("give me all the records that you have that were originally
> entered into the CDS Registry").  Your constraint is just a special
> case of this.

This becomes a little more difficult to do with the OAI interface.
Selective harvesting based on anything other than time must use these
so-called sets, predefined names for subsets of the records.  We could
define names for the different registries; however, this is awkward from a
standards point of view: everytime a new registry appears we would need to
define a name.  We could attempt to develop a scheme for doing this
dynamically, but given the effort needed to support it, I would prefer to
hear broader support for this feature first before we attempt to support
it.  It's a good idea, and it's certainly something that can be easily
added in a later version of the spec.

Note that this query can be much more easily done with the searchable
interface.  So we should recall that OAI is not meant for generalized
searching.  This query might be considered on the fence between a search
and a selective harvest.