applications registry

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 17 03:14:55 PDT 2005

Okay will pass this to the new "Tiger Team" (registry dm) to discuss.

For some background info, during the IVOA Kyoto meeting a presentation on
"Applications" that dealt more with how to call Applications via web service
was presented and how to register only that information in the registry such
as parameters and application names. It was thought though it would be nice
to describe the applications on how it can be installed and what platforms
it takes and other requirements to use this application.  I suspected that
the "referenceURL" would sort of cover something like this in the metadata,
though it was thought it would be better if we could describe this in the
metadata and not the referenceURL.  I sort of suspect though we could be
opening up another big discussion of why only target "Applications" what
about TabularSkyServices/SkyNode that work on certain databases or
platforms.  What about the .Net STSCI Registry is it locked to Windows and
SQL Server, same goes for other registries possibly a registry may require a
perl module to run OAI publishing through. Or other any other generic Web
Services maybe it runs on Perl requiring certain version of perl or in Java
only able to run on certain servlet/j2ee containers such as tomcat, orion,
jboss.  And the list can go on, though Applications are a better target and
may require it more than other targets.

So will pass it onto this Tiger Team to discuss since there dealing with
Applications and will take this into consideration.

Cheers,
Kevin