Resource-name semantics

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 05:15:09 PST 2005

Good stuff, Guy. Few comments...

<<I have written these notes to try to clear up some ambiguities.>>

It came up at the exec telecon/meeting that this PR has not been promoted so
I was going to push that. Can you elaborate on the ambiguities at:
  http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IVOAIdentifiersV11Disc

<<An LRN SHALL be unique within its managing resource.>>

Not sure we can mandate that. If LRN is outside the control of IVO then it
is up to the resource how it translates it. LRN might be contextualised by
previous transactions with the resource making non-uniqueness
non-problematic - unlikely I know but...

<<Each IVORN SHALL be resolvable to the metadata of the resource at an IVO
registry.>> should be:
 'Each IVORN SHALL be resolvable to the metadata of the resource at a *full*
IVO registry.'

<<i.e. IVO resources SHOULD be propagated between registries such that an
agent needs to look in only one registry to complete its assignment.>>
should be:
 'i.e. IVO resources SHOULD be propagated between *full* registries such
that an agent needs to look in only one *full* registry to complete its
assignment.'

<<LRN SHALL be resolvable to information about some local resource>>

Again, not sure we can mandate what the LRN means. If the IVORN is an
application, the LRN may be an instruction to that application. If the IVORN
is an organisation, the LRN might be a department etc.