New helper query interface method

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Thu Apr 14 00:14:58 PDT 2005

Ray Plante wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>GetResource
>

> I think it would be good to have an explicit identifier resolver function,
> even though this is possible directly with the constraint-based search.
> (In fact, we should define it as being equivalient to a search with the
> constraint "identifier='{ivo-id}'".)  An immediate use for this would be
> to check that an authority ID is not already registered; however, I can
> imagine other applications using this.
>
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Matthew J. Graham wrote:
>
>>But this is exactly the same as the OAI GetRecord method?
>

> The proposal is to make it specifically part of the Search interface
> (which should be independent of the Harvesting interface).
>
> cheers,
> Ray

It would please me! -the majority of the queries that I want to make are
of this form, and it would save having to create adql for the purpose....

I also think that Yuji Shirasaki's idea of having a search that returns
a list of identifiers for a query is a potentially good one, and
possibly even a function that returns the number of matches for a query.
- This could of course be done with a single query interface function
but with a slightly extended RQL

Regards,
	Paul.

--