New helper query interface method

Yuji SHIRASAKI yuji.shirasaki at nao.ac.jp
Wed Apr 13 07:37:54 PDT 2005

From: "KevinBenson" <kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: New helper query interface method
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:23:38 +0100

> I am hoping I will get wide support for this, but I would like to introduce
> a new method called "GetResourceByIdentifier" or maybe just "GetResource"
> for the search interface.  It is probably hinted at in the "RofR" discussion
> So is there any objection to having this new method on the search interface?

I agree to introduce such a primitive interface.

We (JVO) are actually using such interface to get a resource metadata
for a particular data service. It is so usefull.

I would like to also propose to introduce a interface which returns a list
of identifiers as the search result instead of whole metadata list.

Currently defined interface returns a list of metadata, so when a lot of
services are found with a query, some client application is suffered by
"Out of Memory" error.

In the AXIS web service implementation (I don't know other implementation),
all the XML documents are deserialized into Java objects which consume a lot
of memory.  So even hundreds of the resouces metadata might break the
client and I like to have a light interface.

We are getting such problem in SkyNode, and probably the same for Registry
as the number of VO data services are increasing.

What do you think ?

---
Yuji SHIRASAKI, Research Fellow             +81-422-34-3579 (tel)
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan  +81-422-34-3840 (fax)
Osawa, Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan                 yuji.shirasaki at nao.ac.jp