New helper query interface method

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 06:23:38 PDT 2005

I am hoping I will get wide support for this, but I would like to introduce
a new method called "GetResourceByIdentifier" or maybe just "GetResource"
for the search interface.  It is probably hinted at in the "RofR" discussion
recently.  It is quite typical an app will have an identifier either via its
own config or passed in by some other means.  In Astrogrid we use this
helper query and is the majority of our queries on our "Full" registry.
Maybe as much as over 90% because it is quite typical that the identifiers
are passed around or in the config.  This is only to have on the search
interface for our registries.  Not certain from other readings of "Rofr"
there was other objectives of looking it up another way or making use of the
identifier for a particular registry--(I think, I was getting a little
confused on that list :)  ).

So is there any objection to having this new method on the search interface?

Cheers,
Kevin