RofR

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Wed Apr 13 05:55:37 PDT 2005

Tony Linde wrote:
>>OK my language is loose here - what I mean is searching on
>>the records
>>that belong to a particular AuthorityID - this is the basic unit of
>>ownership of records, and is the smallest unit that we can attach
>>diffent management functionalities to within a registry.
>

> Thanks Paul. But I would still maintain that the authID is meaningless.

The authorityID is not meaningless, as I said it has been implemented as
the basic aggregated storage unit that records can fall into - this
happens to be a useful property - this is implicit the Identifiers
Standard where the naming authority is said to only be able to create
identifiers within the authorityID that it owns.

> Searching for records that belong to a particular authID only gives you
> records that belong to a particular authID. Any rationale for grouping
> records under an authID is purely down to the person/org which owns that
> authID and cannot be assumed to be the same rationale for any other authID.

This statement does not reflect current usage. Another essential
characteristic of the records within a particular authorityID that is
apparent within implementations (and seems to be widely supported within
this list) is that there should only be one publishing registry for a
particular authorityID - this greatly eases the logic behind tracing
provenance through the harvesting process. This requirement is not
mentioned within the standards, but it would seem sensible.

> If you know the rationale for a given authID and want to use that as part of
> a query then you can do so, but if you already know that much, you probably
> also know the specific resource you want to use anyway.

The particular use case that I was thinking about was precisely where
you do know exactly the IVO id that you want more information on - often
the case where a service needs to look up more information about another
service - in that case the agent could use the RofR to find which
registry could service the request for a particular authorityID.

--
Paul Harrison
ESO Garching