Extensions on the registry

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 12:01:58 PDT 2005

I think the question has to be: if even only one project has developed and
implemented a registry which does store and allow the searching of *all*
resources, whatever extensions they use, is anyone really going to install
another product which offers less functionality (for use as a 'full'
registry that is)? Who will want to attach their own software to a less
effective registry if fully effective ones exist?

If the answer is 'No' and 'No-one', then we are wasting our time discussing
this and how to accommodate partially effective registries: let's simply
make the standard that every 'full' registry must store and allow the
searching and return of resources whatever schema they are written to.

If someone then wants to write a product which does not meet this standard,
they are free to do so and to use it but without being able to say it is
IVOA compliant.

T.