summary of recent RI discussion

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Apr 11 07:10:18 PDT 2005

Sorry, Paul, I'm getting confused about your 'searchable'
registry/authority. A full registry is one which supports the query
interface and which contains *all* resource records from *every* authority:
every full registry is identical in the records it contains (subject to
harvesting overlaps).

Saying that a registry contains 'searchable' authIDs does not make sense as
every searchable (full) registry contains *all* authority records and all
resource records.

> A full registry might have the entries
>
> <Resource xsi:type="Authority">
>    <identifier>my.authority</identifier>
>    <OwnedByID>ivo://my.authority/Registry</OwnedByID>
> </Resource>
> <Resource xsi:type="RegistryType">
>    <identifier>another.authority/FullRegistry</identifier>
>    <searchableAuthority>my.authority</searchableAuthority>
>    <searchableAuthority>another.authority</searchableAuthority>
> </Resource>

Firstly, I still think we need both ownedBy and managedBy authIDs to
differentiate between those IDs which a registry can and cannot change (can
change owned resources, cannot change managed resources).

Secondly, I don't think that publishing registries ought to have registry
entries. They are not VObs resources since they are not accessible to the
VObs. When a publishing registry links up with a full registry it is a
private matter between them - no-one should ever know about the publishing
registry. It might be using registry software to make it easier for its
records to be uploaded into the full registry but it is not really a
registry: it is not a VObs resource and should not be listed as such.

> The reality is that not all registries can 'support'
> arbitrary extensions even in this limited extent - even the

They're going to need to find ways - we cannot restrict resource extensions
so we need to find a way of handling them - even if the registry has to save
them in separate text files and append them when returning the full record -
there are ways of making it work.

> something with a new extension (which in this model they
> would have to do in an new AuthorityID) all that they need to

There is certainly no need for a new authID to publish a new resource. Any
and all types of resource can be published under the one authID.

> be possible for an intelligent agent to work out which
> registry could acually fulfill the query.

The goal must be that all registries support all queries: that is what we're
working towards.