summary of recent RI discussion

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Mon Apr 11 06:36:02 PDT 2005

Tony Linde wrote:
>>Surely the separation of the owned Authority and searchable
>>Authority concept is still needed even by the registry of
>>registries fully to describe what is out there.  As well as
>><Registry> records, it needs to contain <Authority> records,
>

> Why should it contain auth records? Any full registry contains all records
> so has all the auth records anyway. The registry of registries simply makes
> it easier to find new registries that have been added and from which one
> must harvest.

The registry of registries was proposed to have only <VOresource
xsi:type="RegistryType"> records

>>and I rather liked your idea to have an element in the
>>Authority that points to the "owning" registry, which would
>>fulfil this role.
>

> I assume you mean an additional element in the authority record, not in the
> authority element. Sounds a good idea - I'd assumed it was there.

well there is not - that is what this discussion is about...

>>The "managedAuthority" elements in each of
>>the Registry elements would then be the list of authorityIDs
>>that were searchable in a particular registry (i.e. the set
>>of harvested, and owned AuthorityIDs).
>

> No - all records are searchable in a registry. The owned and managed authIDs
> are the ones which are harvested.

there is no mechanism in the schema for saying that you are a publishing
  only registry - with the proposed separation of attributes, this could
be signaled by the registry having the following entries

<Resource xsi:type="Authority">
   <identifier>my.authority</identifier>
   <OwnedByID>ivo://my.authority/Registry</OwnedByID>
</Resource>
<Resource xsi:type="RegistryType">
   <identifier>my.authority/Registry</identifier>
   <!-- there is no searchableAuthority here -->
</Resource>

A full registry might have the entries

<Resource xsi:type="Authority">
   <identifier>my.authority</identifier>
   <OwnedByID>ivo://my.authority/Registry</OwnedByID>
</Resource>
<Resource xsi:type="Authority">
   <identifier>another.authority</identifier>
   <OwnedByID>ivo://another.authority/FullRegistry</OwnedByID>
</Resource>
<Resource xsi:type="RegistryType">
   <identifier>my.authority/Registry</identifier>
   <!-- there is no searchableAuthority here -->
</Resource>
<Resource xsi:type="RegistryType">
   <identifier>another.authority/FullRegistry</identifier>
   <searchableAuthority>my.authority</searchableAuthority>
   <searchableAuthority>another.authority</searchableAuthority>
</Resource>

>>1. A registry can "own"/publish more than one Authority 2.
>>Not all registries will be able to support all specialized
>>schema extensions,
>

> Registries do not have to 'support' the schema extensions in the sense of
> being able to interpret them. They just have to store them. Basically, if a
> search matches a record, the whole record is returned, whatever its
> structure.

The reality is that not all registries can 'support' arbitrary
extensions even in this limited extent - even the pure xml registries
might need some extra configuration before this can be done. So if
someone wants to publish something with a new extension (which in this
model they would have to do in an new AuthorityID) all that they need to
do is persuade one searchable registry to support their extension, and
then with the registry of registries it would be possible for an
intelligent agent to work out which registry could acually fulfill the
query.

Even in a perfect world of idential registry implementations, it would
be a good idea to make explict this separation of roles, as it makes it
easier to create to two sets proposed for harvesting.

>>I still think that it might be better to replace the term
>>"managed" with "searchable"  in these discussions, because I
>>think that "manage" has meant "own" to some people.
>

> No, because a registry is searchable on all authIDs, not just the ones it
> owns and manages.

I am not sure I understand your point here (what other categories are
there besides owned and managed in current parlance?), but as I showed
above a "publishing" registry would not have a "searchable" entry for
the authorityID that it owns.

--
Paul Harrison
ESO Garching