Rethink the Constraint-based search Query from Registry interface

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 8 09:39:22 PDT 2005

Hi Paul,

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Paul Harrison wrote:
> I was really arguing for I guess, although I did not say it explicitly,
> was that we have a separately defined registry query language, and a
> simple one at that without all the XML syntax.

Sorry if I misread initial note.  You do touch on a serious issue that
many people have brought up, and that is having one standard depend on
another.  As it is, the current RI is based on an old version of ADQL.
This practice would probably not be so bad once our standards reached
recommendation status and didn't change much, but we're in the most
volatile period right now.  But you also mention the possibility of
allowing us the freedom to branch off from ADQL to support our special
needs.  This might be considered a Bad Thing if our special needs are
really just an illusion.  Personally, I don't think we have special needs
beyond what ADQL needs to do, but I could be convinced otherwise.

The other important point you make is the desire to drop the XML syntax.
That is, you would like to see a string syntax sent over the wire.  What
is your take, then, on the parsing issue (what I listed as "RP.1.2   It
should be easy to parse in multiple, commonly-used languages")?  One
problem with ADQL/s was that for a long time, the only parser existed in
C#; to convert to ADQL/x, one had to call a web service at STScI.
Recently (with no small effort by myself and Tom McGlynn), we wrote
one in Java.  ADQL/s is about the level of complexity we're going to need
(if you include region support).  If we go with a string syntax, we reduce
the number of languages that are effectively supported.  Is this worth it?