Rethink the Constraint-based search Query from Registry interface

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Fri Apr 8 01:32:10 PDT 2005

Ray Plante wrote:

> Okay, you're a brave soul.
>
> Before we get too deep into what's wrong with ADQL and XPath, let's step
> back and look at requirements and constraints which presumably led to this
> choice.

It was not intended to be an argument about what is wrong with ADQL and
XPATH - As my opening statement makes clear I was one of the "XML
purists" that felt the registry would be a more powerful and flexible
tool if it were pure XML and used XQuery as the query language, but I
accept that argument is lost.

I was really arguing for I guess, although I did not say it explicitly,
was that we have a separately defined registry query language, and a
simple one at that without all the XML syntax. But, given that it is
late in the day for major reworking, we base it on what we have.
However,  instead of the standard making reference to ADQL and XPath,
with restrictions, we should branch the bits of ADQL that the query
actually uses, make the necessary technical changes to the schema in
order to remove the need for the restrictions mentioned in the standard,
and call it RQL - we can then even encode the format of the restricted
XPath-like "column names" in the schema. Separating the evolutionary
paths for the query languages at this point will allow a registry query
language to add specializations particular to the registry without being
burdened by  having constantly to squeeze into the rdb model that ADQL
supports.

Paul.

--
Paul Harrison