ownedAuthority element

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 7 10:51:23 PDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, KevinBenson wrote:
> Thought I might try a scenario to better explain.

Thanks, that's what I was missing.  I think our scenarios are essentially
the same, except that I see now how you can use one OAI set to both kinds
of harvesting.

> *The only thing I could see a big problem above is if heasarc had several
> authority ids it owned, and did not let Carnivore manage them all, but
> surely you would not want to spread your managed authority ids around
> between different full registries.

This is the crux of the "tracking" problem.  The authority ID is not
granularity you want to do this on.  It would be find if there were a
one authority ID per publishing registry, but that's not how we do it.
Since harvesting is done on a per-registry basis, that's the thing you
want to track.  So instead of Registries listing what authority IDs they
"manage", they should list what registries they "manage".

In addition my other points still apply:
  o  it still requires human coordination to establish the hierarchy
  o  the overhead of keeping registry records up to date and analyzing
       them for determining who to harvest is prone to error.

> Deeper issue, (we might want to put this on another thread or you might want
> to e-mail me separately if you want to.)
> You mentioned about keeping track of managed Authority id's and it was
> sounding like yours does not keep track,

Most US registries do this properly.  The STScI is a little behind in
supporting this, but they are working on it.

> Already once or twice I caught a conflict in
> our Astrogrid registries and did the transfer.

If you can, let us know the details, and we'll get it straightened out.