ownedAuthority element

Matthew J. Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 7 09:05:54 PDT 2005

Hi,

On Apr 7, 2005, at 3:38 AM, KevinBenson wrote:

> ----
> Deeper issue, (we might want to put this on another thread or you
> might want
> to e-mail me separately if you want to.)
> You mentioned about keeping track of managed Authority id's and it was
> sounding like yours does not keep track,
> I must say I think this is something that needs to happen.  Do you do
> that
> in your registries?   Because if you don't you will start getting a
> major
> problem in registries creating and using the same authority ids (and
> possibly same identifiers).  Already once or twice I caught a conflict
> in
> our Astrogrid registries and did the transfer.

Not sure for whom this was meant but Carnivore certainly keeps track of
managed AuthorityIDs.

The whole point is that an AuthorityId can only be created at one
registry: if someone attempts to create the same one at another
registry with the same identifier then it should not be permitted -
unless, of course, it odes done at exactly the same time as both which
is impossible to catch without some hideous lock/notification
mechanism.

	Cheers,

	Matthew