Question: harvesting managed vs. all resource records

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 11:18:19 PDT 2005

As you say on your wiki page Ray, you can discover who the curator is by the
Registry type of who is managing that authority id, so I am not quite sure
what the "harvestFrom" gains you.  Now we do need to talk about the notion
again of <ownedAuthority> but that is later (this deals with full-full
harvesting only so we don't keep harvesting every registry around).  An
authorityid should be managed by only one Registry type so I am not quite
sure if harvestFrom will get you anything.  Now it could possibly make sense
to make the curator/contact/e-mail element a required element, just a
thought?

xs:date to my knowledge is okay with time values and in fact astrogrid does
it with a "time" with a "Z" ending and xerces seems to be okay with it.  So
I think date should be okay, we probably should make sure status and updated
are required attributes; possibly created as well.

Yes I like the idea that we should make search interface query only "active"
resources.  We need to get CDS to put in a status attribute though
originally I had registries only doing active ones for a brief time of a day
or two, but realized CDS currently does not have that attribute.

Also I am now coming around on OAI sets, originally I was not to keen on
them, and thought you could just do everything with ListRecords, but I do
see where using a set to get everything the first time could be very good
and is probably not to hard to implement plus adding oai_managed set would
be just as easy.  I do think ListRecords need to only be managed Resources
each time though.

Cheers,
Kevin