Error column in VOResource

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Tue May 18 08:42:16 PDT 2004

> (2) VOTable is perfectly good XML.

Only in the sense that it has lots of angle brackets: xml it is, *good* xml
it certainly is not. Looking at <td>7.3</td> is not, to my mind, very
meaningful. In order to understand what it is 7.3 of, you have to interpret
some arcane TABLE/FIELD structure, count along the right number of FIELD
elements and, voila, you still don't know what you've got. Whoever
constructed the VOTable could call that field whatever they want and then
call it something else in the next VOTable they send you. You cannot do
anything but display the data with the name as a column heading; it is
semantically useless. Adding a UCD to the field helps but you'd better hope
that there's only one such UCD in the dataset.

Tony.