Error column in VOResource

Martin Hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Tue May 18 07:57:15 PDT 2004

Thanks Roy and Ray...

Roy Williams wrote:

>>Would it be a good idea to include a reference to the associated error
>>column in a column's description?  eg:
>

> But what happens when there is an error ellipse, RA, Dec, and the three
> components RA.RA and Dec.Dec and RA.Dec of the covariance.

Hmmm yes.  Ouch.  Is this peculiar to location, or does it happen with
others too?

> What we have thought of in VOTable is an adjunct structure written in RDF that
> expresses relationships between the columns, betwwen the columns and UCDs and
> other relationships.....
>
> In fact, looking at your XML, may I politely ask why you have chosen not to use
> the already established VOTable schema? I had always assumed that the reason
> VOTable is included in VOResource is so that table metadata could be understood
> by the same software that reads the tables themselves.

Another new one to me - I hadn't realised VOTable was included in
VOResource... How do VOTable and VODataService relate?

If you mean that a service returns a VOTable, and so we can ask for a
VOTable header, that rather implies that you know already which columns
to ask for, as the resultset will not (I believe?) give all the columns
every time.

What I am looking for is a way of describing a dataset fully enough that
not only can a software tool discover suitable datasets but also build
suitable queries on the found ones.  This might mean adding metadata to
a datacenter that doesn't get put in the Registry - but I rather feel
that any metadata might as well go to the Registry to make
discovery/querying easier...

--
Martin Hill
www.mchill.net