bandpasses in RM

Patricio F. Ortiz pfo at star.le.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 13:25:35 PST 2004

Hi Bob, Nic & Arnold,

The broad categorization proposed by Bob seems to me adequate, as I assume
it will act as a "broadband filter" to categorize information. True that
radio is quite wide, but we will never please everyone as these categories
are arbitrary. What Nic mentions sounds more like an orthogonal direction.
Bob's Bandpasses apply only to the EM regime.

Individual observations will be either Electromagnetic, neutrino,
cosmic rays, gravitational, subspace, tachions :-) or whatever else.
Catalogues may contain more than one observation type (much like today
some catalogues mix Radio, optical, Xrays etc). Maybe what we should
introduce is something like:  "detectionAgent" (or an appropriate
designation), which could be something like: photons xor neutrinos xor
cosmic particles xor gravitational waves.

So far, all our data has detectionAgent = photons (given the fact that
we've thrown to the trashcan years of collecting CR events :-) :-)

Cheers,

Patricio

---
Patricio F. Ortiz			pfo at star.le.ac.uk
AstroGrid project
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Leicester			Tel: +44 (0)116 252 2015
LE1 7RH, UK