bandpasses in RM

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 22 12:08:17 PST 2004

In principle I agree with the seven, but wonder where submillimeter
falls and whether radio ought to be differentiated.  I mean, otical
covers just one octave, while radio comprises at least 10 octaves...
The distribution seems rather uneven.

  - Arnold

Robert Hanisch wrote:
> I am starting to make the updates to the RM document brought about by the
> RFC and there is the matter of bandpass names, which we were urged to
> standardize and make consistent.  I remind you that now we have the
> following eight bandpasses as allowed values for Coverage.Spectra:
>
>   Radio
>   Millimeter
>   Infrared
>   Optical
>   UV
>   EUV
>   X-ray
>   Gamma-ray
>
> We have two names that are acronyms and the others not, and it does seem
> would should be self-consistent.
>
> How would people feel about consolidating to seven named regions, all
> spelled-out?
>
>   Radio
>   Millimeter
>   Infrared
>   Optical
>   Ultraviolet
>   X-ray
>   Gamma-ray
>
> Ultraviolet would "consume" EUV.  My reasoning is
> 1) These are broad definitions at this level; further specificity is
> provided by Coverage.Spectral.Bandpass and the central, minimum, and maximum
> wavelength elements.
> 2) EUV is infrequently observed; only a handful of resources would
> characterize themselves as specific to EUV and could still be easily found
> with Spectral.Coverage = UV plus other constraints.
>
> We could also include EUV spelled-out,
>
>   Extreme-Ultraviolet
> or
>   Extreme Ultraviolet
>
> but for reasons mentioned above it seems simpler to me to leave it out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu