roadmap

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Wed Mar 10 07:12:34 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Linde" <ael at star.le.ac.uk>
To: "'Ray Plante'" <rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu>; <registry at ivoa.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 9:40 AM
Subject: RE: roadmap

> Thanks Bob & Ray (great double act!).
>
> The question is: what is in the registry? A) does it conform to the
schema?
> B) what records does it contain?

Yes, it conforms to the schema (though it was somewhat tortuous to get
there!).  Not all resources populate all fields, and some entries are of
dubious quality, something that raises concerns for me about the curation of
the registry.

> If we added an AstroGrid datacentre service, would it know that this
service
> needed to be invoked using the SkyService methods using ADQL v0.8.1 (or
> whichever version we're using in AstroGrid at the moment)? And if not,
would
> it recognise that it could not use this service even if it found it via
the
> registry query criteria?

It would know about ConeSearch and SIAP, but not yet about ADQL or SkyQuery.

> Also, given the results:
>
>    Images (FITS/GIF)
> Optical DSS1 SV
> X-ray RASS B
>    Observations (VOTable)
> Optical HST(100)
> Radio NCSA ADIL(9)
> X-ray ROSAT(2) ROSPUBLC(2)
> UV Copernicus(2) EUVE(3)
> FUSE(4)
>    Objects (VOTable)
> Surveys USNO-A2.0(3) GSC1(88)
> GSC2.2(649)
> Stars HIP(1)
>
> Which registry fields are being used to make the above subdivisions?
Tom McGlynn can answer better than I can.  But to first order, bandpass
information comes from the Spectral.Coverage metadata.  The segregation
between images and catalogs comes from the ServiceType, and the distinction
between Observations and Objects comes from Type (catalog, archive).

Bob