roadmap

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Wed Mar 10 06:02:45 PST 2004

> Has the NVO project (or anyone else) built or prototyped any way in which
> users can submit a registry query (in whatever form) and have the
resultant
> services (even if only data services) automatically invoked? - including
> AstroGrid data services, VizieR services etc? If so, can you point us to
it
> - would help to be able to see how this works.

Yes, of course -- we've been talking about this for the past year -- the NVO
Data Inventory Service (http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/vo/dis.html)..  For the
January 2004 AAS we updated it to use the new registry schema.  DIS invokes
ConeSearch and SIA services automatically, based on queries to the registry
(at this point it basically just checks for everything, though we have
already discussed allowing users to select resources by using the resource
metadata).

Last week Wil and Gretchen implemented a simple keyword search against the
registry.  And the query forms at
http://sdssdbs1.stsci.edu/nvo/voregistry/QueryRegistry.aspx let you select
resources based on an SQL predicate.  This is not a terribly user-friendly
interface, but it certainly shows that you can preselect resources according
to user-selected criteria.

Bob