a few more heliocentric coordinate systems

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 9 11:10:11 PDT 2004

I am considering incorporating the ones noted below into STC (GEO,
MAG, GSE, GSM, SM, HGC, HEE, HEEQ, HCI, HCD); in the current version
that is almost trivial.
There is a similar effort underway in the FITS community, led by Bill
Thompson.

I would be reluctant to include GEI and HAE, since they already exist
as ICRS and ECLIPTIC, and Solar Rotations since it's just a measure of
time.  I could not find references for Geodetic and
GeocentricSolarEquatorial in Fraenz & Harper.
Sperical and Cartesian are coordinate "flavors", a concept that is
orthogonal to that of a coordinate reference frame.

In addition, I would be inclined to include the planetocentric
coordinate frames for Mercury, Venus, Mars, JupiterIII, SaturnIII,
UranusIII, Neptune, and Pluto as defined by the ephemeris in Table 6
of Fraenz and Harper (2002, Plan & Sp Sci. 50, 217), with GEI(J2000)
interpreted as ICRS.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Elizabeth Auden wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Chris Perry has brought to my attention some additional heliocentric
> coordinate systems that should also be included in a solar metadata
> extension to VODataService:
>
> (From
> http://www.space-plasma.qmw.ac.uk/heliocoords/systems2art/node8.html):
>
> 1. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/Spherical
This is a coordinate "flavor", not a coordinate reference frame.
> 2. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/Cartesian
This is a coordinate "flavor", not a coordinate reference frame.
> 3. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/GeocentricEquatorialInertial
This is already provided as "ICRS"
> 4. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/Geographic
GEO
?
> 6. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/Geomagnetic
MAG
> 7. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/GeocentricSolarEcliptic
GSE
> 8. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/GeocentricSolarEquatorial
?
> 9. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/GeocentricSolarMagnetospheric
GSM
> 10. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/SolarMagnetic
SM

> 11. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/Heliographic
HGC
> 12. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/SolarRotations
This is really a measure of time, if I understand it correctly
> 13. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/HeliocentricEarthEcliptic
HEE
> 14. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/HeliocentricEartEquatorial
HEEQ
> 15. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/HeliocentricInertial
HCI
> 16. /Coverage/Spatial/CoordFrameType/HeliocentricOfDate
HCD

> Please let me know if you can advise other solar / STP coordinate systems
> that should be included in a schema extension.
>
> cheers,
> Elizabeth

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu