UCD elements

Martin Hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Fri Jul 2 01:38:59 PDT 2004

It's not so much the mapping but being able to use 'old' services.  It's
may not be a problem between UCD1 and UCD1+, but imagine when UCD2 comes
out.  Most services are unlikely to be UCD2-aware; so we can't send them
files containing UCD2s.  On the other hand, we want to include UCD2s
when we send files to new UCD2-aware services, so that we can make the
most of them.  In these cases we *could* send the files through a
converter service first, but I don't think we can say that there will be
a unique one-to-one mapping *both ways*...

We should certainly offer services that generate new UCDs based on old
ones to make the transition easier.  I don't think we need to make
including every version mandatory - it will depend on where the user
expects to send their files too.

Services however will definitely need to describe themselves using both
so that both old and new clients can use them. And therefore I suspect
they will need to include both in the results, or we are going to have
to add another input parameter to specify which UCDs to put in the results.

--
Martin Hill
www.mchill.net