UCD elements

Clive Page cgp at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 01:10:53 PDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Martin Hill wrote:

> We will need (at latest when we introduce UCD2 over UCD1+) simultaneous UCDs of
> different versions in single metadata documents (so both older and newer tools
> can use them).

Is that really necessary?  As I understand it there is a unique one-to-one
mapping from UCD1 to UCD1+, which should be easily encapsulatable in
software, or even a Web Service.  I'm not sure if that's true too of UCD2,
but if it isn't doing conversions is going to be labour-intensive.
Putting duplicated UCDs of different versions in each data file seems a
bit of overkill if that's true.

--
Clive Page
Dept of Physics & Astronomy,