Elements to add to TabularSkyService

Martin Hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jul 1 12:45:51 PDT 2004

Gretchen Greene wrote:

> Martin,
>
> I wouldn't rule-out NVO using TabularSkyService at all.  We are in the
> process of populating and testing new schemas just the same.  Our
> prototypes were based on much earlier concepts and then yes...we have
> advanced services which have their own similar set of 'elements' such as
> skynodes.  This doesn't mean we are not interested in using these newer
> schema elements,  it is simply a process of development that we are
> exploring.

OK dok... however it sounds like you're some way away from using this
document-based way of describing metadata (skynodes do their own thing
with calls to methods that return lists of tables, lists of columns
etc). So I was really wondering if we/Astrogrid can 'take ownership' of
it for a while (viz ADQL by NVO) to develop it into a real-world usable
document, and then present the results to the registry group for
discussion/dismemberment/etc.  Rather than going through the rigmarole
of discussing each small change!

However I think Ray has suggested a way of doing this but using a
completely different extension, which will save us from interfering with
each other.

> With all the discussion on the theoretical aspects of the schema dev,  I
> encourage you to share some instance examples.  It really helps clarify
> how the schemas apply.  Project drivers always differ yet real examples
> go a long way.  Throw some out there!

Yers - the examples I have now are only from discussion with a couple of
innocent data providers who are about to be VO'd (poor things :-).  I'll
definitely put up some real examples when I have some.  I suspect before
then there will be lots of questions from me and them about other
aspects of VOResource!

Is this the right forum to use to ask questions about
ambiguous/undocumented elements in the VOResource document?  Perhaps
with a special subject marker [SupportRequest] ?

Cheers!

MC

--
Martin Hill