Elements to add to TabularSkyService

Martin Hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jul 1 12:35:36 PDT 2004

Ray Plante wrote:

> Could you include some documentation?

Ahem, yes that would have been polite.

> For example, what exactly is the
> value of ErrorColumn correspond to, the name of the referenced column?

Yes.

> Are you still convinced that "UcdPlus" is necessary?

No... but I do know that the datacenters I will be installing at first
will already have UCDs, and we may need to have somewhere to put UCD+s
while they settle down.  Or are we not dealing with UCD+s yet?

>>so that both can be filled in as we deploy datacenters *now*; we can always
>>transform the metadata documents later if we change our minds. However if I'm
>>going to have to persuade data owners to go through a few hundred columns I'd
>>like to fill out the metadata fields as completely as possible, rather than
>>leaving some bits out and having to go over the whole laborious process again
>>later when we finally get around to agreeing a set of comprehensive tags.
>
> What you might do is start by convincing the providers to add it to a few
> targeted tables for prototyping purposes.

That would be sensible... however since we're practicing deploying
AstroGrid components, one of the issues is 'what is the provider going
to have to do and how can we make it straightforward', so I want to have
the mechanism there as much as possible.

> Nevertheless, I welcome AstroGrid's prototyping in this area.  If you
> really wish to push things (e.g. add lots of new stuff), it might be best
> to handle this initially through your own local extensions.  I'm happy to
> recommend friendly ways of doing this.

Let's do this - yes please.

--
Martin Hill