UCD elements

Patricio F. Ortiz pfo at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Jul 1 08:37:04 PDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Martin Hill wrote:

> At the moment we have an element called <UCD> that contains UCD v1 values. We
> are now talking about UCD1+ which are different; what element name should we
> use for these?  <UCD_PLUS> ?
>
> It would be Bad to use the same element, as the values are really of different
> types (and so interpreting it will be ambiguous).  However we might be able to
> get away with it this once as it is still early days, and I gather no-one has
> data lying around in VO formats that they intend to keep for long!

IMHO we should stick to <UCD>. I assume that very few services have
implemented UCD1+ yet, (or v1 for that matter). Perhaps a way to leave a
door open to reflect differences would be an attribute "version", which by
default should be 1+. There are some syntax differences which could allow a
service to distinguish one version from the other, at least in principle.

Cheers,

Patricio

---
Patricio F. Ortiz			pfo at star.le.ac.uk
AstroGrid project
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Leicester			Tel: +44 (0)116 252 2015
LE1 7RH, UK