Registry Interface namespaces

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 14 00:11:21 PST 2004

Hey Matthew,

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Matthew J. Graham wrote:
> In the latest iteration (Nov 22) of the WSDL, searching and harvesting
> have been split into different namespaces...

> Do we actually lose anything by tieing all requests and response to the
> RegistryInterface namespace?

As you mention in your query, modularity is indeed what you lose.  I
personally consider this important because harvesters and harvestees are
not always the same people.  With separate namespaces, a change in the
search interface does not affect publishing-only registries.

Code-generating toolkits handle the multiple namespaces transparently, so
developers that use them shouldn't need to worry.  (Axis, for example,
will even go off and fetch referenced WSDL accessed via an import.)  If,
one the other hand, you are not using such a toolkit (you've been moving
away from them, correct?), then yes, you need to pay closer to attention
to this detail (as well as others not related to namespaces).

Given the current volatility in this interfaces,  I would recommend
keeping this separation until we see a broader call to do otherwise.