roadmap

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 5 09:07:44 PDT 2004

Hi Tony et al.,

Attached is my attempt at incorporating NVO hopes/dreams into the roadmap.
As Bob has mentioned, we are keen to deliver useful services now.  In
practical terms, "now" means in time for our NVO summer school (14-18 Sep.
2004): we would like to allow students to tinker with a working
registry system to build useful applications.  This means that it should
be possible to register new resources as well as search registries.  On
the hand (as Bob also noted), we recognize that we must be prepared to
revise our standards and software in these early stages; thus, I think it
is appropriate that we plan in revision activity for next year.  The
reconciliation between these competing concerns is that we would like to
see a fairly complete registry system deployed and working by this summer;
however, we should not be too afraid of revision afterward.

So, to address our desire to speed things up a bit, I have recommended
these changes:

  o  move the draft RI spec up to 30-may-2004 (we're well on our way).

  o  move demonstration of viability of RMS & RI to end 30-Aug-2004.

Implicit in the 30-May-2004 deadline for RMS v0.91 is the workshop on the
VOResource core.

One area that we need to plan for is about registry curation--ensuring the
integrity and usefulness of the registry data.  We can't really address
this without experience with a fully working system.  To this end, I've
inserted the following milestone:

 8. Create Best Practices document for Registry Curation; draft
    Curation Policy standard, if necessary
     31-Mar-2005

Does this help?