roadmap

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 02:48:36 PST 2004

Hi Bob,

I guess we see v1.0 in different lights. For me, when we release a v1.0
standard we are saying it is solid, we have tested it every which way, we've
got it working in several apps and whatever we do in the future will build
on that, not scrap it and start again. And I don't think we can get to that
level of certainty in less than the timeframe I've proposed.

It is easier to junk a v0.7 standard and come up with a radically different
v0.8 standard than it is to do the same from v1.0 to v1.1 or v1.0 to v2.0.
But if you want to rewrite my proposal changing some of the v0.9x numbers to
v1.0 and the v1.0 to v2.0, please do so and we can take a look at it. But we
must make it clear that the v1.0 should not be taken as fixed and that we
reserve the right to junk it and rebuild v2.0 in the light of experience.

> Can't we make use of ADQL?  Why is
> a registry so fundamentally different than another VO
> resource?  A registry is all metadata, yes, but the
> mechanisms for querying it should not need to be any
> different, should they?

The registry is fundamentally different from a data source. Any data source
has an unknown schema but is stored in relational tables (or we assume it is
since ADQL is based on SQL and in most cases it is). The registry has a
known schema but completely unknown storage mechanism. So any RQL (registry
query language) needs to be based on the schema, not on storage mechanism.