Drop SkyService?

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 29 00:55:57 PDT 2003

Hi Tony,

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Tony Linde wrote:
> What do we do if a SkyService includes the 'CanQuery' (or whatever)
> relationship? Do we search both coverage metadata for the SkyService *and*
> the DataCollection it is related to, or specify that if both are present,
> only one is searched?

The short answer is, I'm not sure yet what will make sense in general.

There will be some queries where the registry user will have a specific
idea of what they are looking for.  For, example, the NVO DIS service
looks specifically for cone search and SIA services; thus, it need only
query against coverage associated with those services.

In the more general case, it's not clear whether it makes sense to just
search services, data collections, or both.  (Note that Coverage appears
at the same level for both types--hopefully, that's helpful.)  It may
depend on whether providers are typically inclined to register data
collections themselves or just the services that access them.