Registries, IVO ids, and Data Set Identifiers (fwd)

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 26 12:32:57 PDT 2003

Hi Bob,

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Robert Hanisch wrote:
> The drawback, perhaps, is that there are now at least two identifiers for a
> particular data set, such as
>
>     ivo://sao.harvard.edu/cxo#2000
> and
>     ivo://ads.harvard.edu/sa.cxo#2000

This is one of the things I was hoping we could avoid. We should *not*
have to have 2 different identifiers for different purposes.

The point of the the authority ID is to establish a namespace for
resources that an organization controls.  ADS does not control datasets
from the CXO, so it does not make sense that they would so register the
collection.  The curator, CXO, should be responsible for creating the IDs
for its collections and names for its datasets.

In the ADS Data Resolver architecture, the ADS is not creating the names;
the data provider ultimately is doing this.  (ADS simply asks a data
center if an ID given by an author in a manuscript exists.)  Thus, there
is no need for "ivo://ads.harvard.edu/sa.cxo#2000".