VOResource v0.8.2

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 26 06:41:29 PDT 2003

Anita Richards wrote:

> Ray et al.,
>
> The organisation of the new schemas suggested by Ray
> http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0591.htm
> seems nice and logical to me, with a few possible omissions. I think some
> of my detailed points are similar to those made by Tony, e.g. on links to
> articles http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0634.htm which I have made
> more specific.
>
> Coverage
> Spatial, Spectral, Temporal - maybe Resolution should be one of the
> subelements in each of these, along with dimensional coverage, accuracy,
> regionOfRegard etc. - maybe depth/sensitivity is extra?  RSMv0.8 seemed to
> do very well, with a little reorganisation. The STC documentation
> seems very comprehensive but we will only find out how complete the
> related schemas are and how far it is necessary to go when using them
> to answer queries.  The Registry should only use a tiny fraction of
> their complexity

Most definitely not!
Well, if we limit the VO to only deal with data in ICRS or FK5/J200,
and restrict users to objects outside the solar system, we can.
But if the registry is to be useful for handling data collections and
users who use a wide variety of space-time coordinate systems, then it
is absolutely crucial that that information be stored in precise
detail.  Shortcuts and "common sense" assumptions are going to get us
into a lot of trouble.
The real issue is not how simple of complicated the description of a
resource is in the registry, but how user-friendly the tool is that
allows people to register their resources.
And is isn't really so terribly complicated.  For an example see:

	http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/nvometa/CXOResource.xml

> and will impose added restrictions (I hope!) e.g. units.

I'm all in favor of restrictions on units - but that's an issue of the
interface tool, again - but I am suspicious of unspecified restrictions.

  - Arnold

> Otherwise I support Elizabeth Auden's suggestions, especially the need
> to include services like MySpace.
>
> thanks

> Dr. Anita M. S. Richards, AVO Astronomer
> MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, University of Manchester,
> Jodrell Bank Observatory, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K.
> tel +44 (0)1477 572683 (direct); 571321 (switchboard); 571618 (fax).

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu