IVO ids and Data Sets Identifiers

Francois Ochsenbein francois at vizir.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Sep 24 07:21:57 PDT 2003

Tony,

My only problem is that the usage of the # will forbid the usage
of the same identifier as an IVO identifier AND as an UR[IL] directly
usable to point to a dataset from an electronic article. It therefore
means that the 2 things have to be disjoined because it is not possible
(in the HTTP sense) to make a distinction between
   //Authority.ID/(resource_key)#(dataset_1) and
   //Authority.ID/(resource_key)#(dataset_2)

I feel it's a pity to introduce this incompatiblity -- and moreover
I agree fully with Arnold, I cannot understand the necessity of a
resource_key. What you need is just a unique identifier, which will
be supplied by the Authority.ID . It's not the role of the registry
to define this, IMHO.

Cheers, francois