VO and ADEC identifiers

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 18 16:26:14 PDT 2003

Alberto -

Sure, I agree with this, up to a point.  Terms like "data collection",
"dataset", "catalog" etc. are fundamental concepts which we need to define
even to converse as humans.  The terms in your example below are more
precise terms needed to consistently implement queries.  These would be part
of a standard defining 1) the registry metadata and 2) the metadata used
to describe source (object) catalogs.  To do this I think one would need
to recognize that there are different types of catalogs, have a data model
for something called a source or object catalog, and ask data providers to
define a mapping from their catalog to the standard data model when the
catalog is published to the VO.  This is a lot of bite off all at once.
For now, we should start by recognizing that the registry can never hope
to understand all these things, and should rather be a mechanism we can
use to store and query information about such externally defined resources.

	- Doug