VO and ADEC identifiers

amicol amicol at eso.org
Thu Sep 18 15:39:34 PDT 2003

Doug wrote:
> ... "dataset" ... "data collection" ... "catalog"
> This is an important issue since we strive for rigor in how we refer

> to data within the VO.
> Perhaps we should develop a glossary of terms for VO.

Ah! Some time ago we discussed about the VO Dictionary.
There were two people (me and Martin Hill) claiming that we
cannot leave without it.

The basic question for me is always the same,
how to perform the following query:

 select serviceID from Registry
 where service_category = "CATALOG BROSWER"
   and data_class = "OBJECT CATALOG"
   and subject = "GALAXY"
   and querable_parameter = "GALAXY DISTANCE"
   and output_parameter = "GALAXY NAME"

without a dictionary listing all those terms in quotes ?

May I count you as the third member of the club ? :-)

Alberto

--
Alberto Micol
ESA/RSSD/SN-M - ST-ECF