pending changes to resource metadata

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 16 13:20:56 PDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Robert Hanisch wrote:
> The DC standard for this is Source, which I added to RM0.8 some weeks ago:
>
> Source  (string) [Dublin Core]
>
> Definition:  A reference to a resource from which the present resource is
> derived.
>
> Comment:  The present resource may be derived from the Source in whole or in
> part.  Recommended best practice is to use the standard bibcode (see
> http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/refcode.html), where available.  If no
> bibcode is available, Source should use a string or number conforming to a
> formal identification or citation system.

The difficulty I have with this term is that papers are usually derived
from data or projects.  That is, in the case of Sloan, the project was
developed and the early release data was observed and analyzed, and based
on the results of that effort, a paper was written.

Having the value be a reference to an article makes sense when the
resulting resource is also a paper.

Your motivation for Source was to provide a connection to the related
journal article.  This is, I think, the reverse relationship: we want to
know what papers resulted from this resource.  If this is correct, then
"Citation" would make more sense.