pending changes to resource metadata

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Tue Sep 16 12:59:29 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roy Williams" <roy at cacr.caltech.edu>
To: "Ray Plante" <rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu>; <registry at ivoa.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: pending changes to resource metadata

> > 6.  Add elements for expressing relationships between resource
> >     (e.g. mirror-of, derived-from, etc.)
>
> I would suggest also a generic "reference" so we can say that another VO
> resource is related in a non-specific way.
>
> Also, a "citation" element so we can cite a ADS bibcode or astro-ph paper.
>
> Roy

The DC standard for this is Source, which I added to RM0.8 some weeks ago:

Source  (string) [Dublin Core]

Definition:  A reference to a resource from which the present resource is
derived.

Comment:  The present resource may be derived from the Source in whole or in
part.  Recommended best practice is to use the standard bibcode (see
http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/refcode.html), where available.  If no
bibcode is available, Source should use a string or number conforming to a
formal identification or citation system.

and the example:

Description                    The Sloan Digital Sky Survey is using a
dedicated

2.5 m telescope and a large format CCD camera to obtain images of over
10,000 square degrees of high Galactic latitude sky in five broad bands (u',
g', r', i' and z', centered at 3540, 4770, 6230, 7630, and 9130 Å,
respectively). Medium resolution spectra will be obtained for approximately
106 galaxies and 100,000 quasars. The early data release (EDR), on June
2001, includes searchable catalogs of images and spectra, images for display
and scientific purpose in both 2-D FITS and JPEG formats, and spectra in
both 1-D FITS and GIF formats. The EDR covers about 460 square degrees of
sky. The next data releases will occur every 18 months or so.

Source                          2002AJ..123..485S

Cheers,

Bob