amendments to Identifier framework

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 04:31:12 PDT 2003

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the summary but I'm afraid I think your amendments to the
identifier proposal are overcomplicating it unnecessarily.

Part A
======

AuthorityIDs are not necessarily owned by organisations. This should be an
optional part of the authority metadata.

Where does the 'global IVOA Name-granting registry' live? Who is going to
maintain this and ensure it is always available? Can we not leave it up to
the replication process to ensure non-duplication of AuthorityIDs?

What is a 'publishing registry'?

The rules for adding an AuthorityID to a registry should be left up to that
registry. Why should IVOA set rules about this that it cannot police?

What are 'first-class resources'?

Surely the only steps needed to resolve an identifer are:

1. Registry looks within itself for a matching identifier. If none is found
and registry is *not* a 'full' (see http://ivoa.net/forum/registry/0193.htm)
registry then the query is sent to a full registry.

2. If a full registry cannot find the identifier then 'resource is not
found' message is returned.

If an application (or, more likely, user) wants to try to dig further then
they can do so by searching on AuthorityID, organisation ResourceID etc.

Part B
======

Surely unregistered ResourceIDs are nothing to do with the registry. If the
owner of an AuthorityID wants to create unregistered identifiers for their
own purposes then it is up to them to maintain them and ensure that they are
not reused.

Part C
======

What is the point of the attribute 'persistent' when nothing can be done
with it?

The 'status' attribute makes sense as I can see people wanting to not search
"inactive" resources. I'm not sure I agree about "deleted" status. I can see
your reasoning but the registry is primarily a device for discovering
resources; listing dead ones does not make sense unless we say that
"deleted" resources are normally excluded from a search unless specifically
included.

'LogicalIdentifier' also sounds okay although I think the issue of mirrors
is more complex than this can cope with.

I don't think we need add more elements to the schema for a resource for
mirrors etc. A repeating 'Relationship' element using namespaced values
would be more efficient and extendable?

Part D
======

Changing the standard to ensure compliance with one other service could open
the floodgates to other services. If we want to specify how ADEC can
interoperate with VO Registries then it should be a separate document, a
Note probably.

I don't think there was anything in this Part which required changes to the
IVOA identifier spec.

My Summary

The IVOA is not a policing organisation. The more 'rules' we try to
introduce, the more likely that our standards will be ignored. Let's stick
with developing the minimum standards that are needed to ensure our systems
can interoperate and leave the policing to external efforts.

I think the only parts of your proposed amendments which we need to add are:

1. attributes 'Status' and 'LogicalIdentifier'.
2. repeating element 'Relationship' as I've previously defined (point H in
http://ivoa.net/forum/registry/0462.htm).