amendments to Identifier framework

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 15 02:28:11 PDT 2003

Hi all,

Okay, since Clive asked for it....This is not actually a summary/recap of
the identifier issues; however, I hope this will provide a bit more
clarity to the discussion.  Thanks to everyone who was able to contribute
to Friday's discussion about identifiers and related issues.  I know it
had a lot of threads and was often difficult to keep up with;
nevertheless, it was very valuable (in my mind, anyway) in helping to
understand the current issues of identifier control, relationships to
registries, persistance, and location-independence.  I mulled over the
disussion over the weekend, and I'd like to propose 4, somewhat
independent amendments to the Identifier framework.

I'm posting the four different amemndment ideas on separate twiki
pages to save you from having to read them all.  You can focus on the
ones that concern you the most.  Here's a summary:

  Part A.  Establishing AuthorityID Ownership and Resolving
	   ResourceIDs
           http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IdAmendPtA

    A clarification of what's currently in the Identifier (Working
    Draft), the main differences beeing:
    o  A request for an AuthorityID is handled through a publishing
       registry to global registry.  The request is accompanied by the
       identifier of the publishing registry to be saved in the global
       registry as the "registry of origin" for that authority ID.

    o  Registries are registered as first-class resources.  Their
       descriptions should include the AuthorityIDs that they have
       resources for.

  Part B:  Unregistered Resource IDs
           http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IdAmendPtB

  This amendment allows one to associated identifiers with resources
  that are not strictly registered.

  Part C:  Support for Persistance and Location-independence:
	   Persistant Logical Identifiers (PLI).
           http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IdAmendPtC

  This proposal for handling location-independent identifiers is much
  the same as the strawman I presented to this list earlier
  (http://www.ivoa.net/forum/registry/0454.htm).  It involves use of
  metadata to describe mirroring relationships, as well as proposing
  the use of Persistant Logical Identifiers for refering to resources
  in a location-independent way.

   Part D: Persistant Dataset Identifiers (PDI) and ADEC
	   Compatibility.
           http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IdAmendPtD

   This proposes dataset identifiers based on the PLIs discussed in
   Part C; these can be used as ADEC identifiers for publishing in the
   journals.  From a PDI, one can use VO registries to discover
   data resolvers that resolve it into one or more locations to
   retrieve it from.

Although I'm calling these amendments, not all of it would go into the
Identifier WD per say.  Some of this is input to registry services.