IVOA Identifiers Working Draft

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Sep 12 12:46:39 PDT 2003

> I think it is intended (Doug?) that non-registered
> ResourceIDs would be
> used in VO systems.  That is what led to the discussion of resolution
> schemes that allow you to learn something about the unregistered
> ResourceID (e.g. those 3 ideas for resolving some component of it).

In which case it would make more sense to use the ResourceID to identify the
resource and some other element to identify the lower level part, say:

<DataItem>
  <ResourceID>
    <AuthorityID>...</AuthorityID>
    <ResourceKey>...</ResourceKey>
  </ResourceID>
  <ItemID>...</ItemID>
</DataItem>

But we should maintain the ResourceID as a unique identifer for registered
resources. Especially since the subsidiary element (ItemID) would not apply
to services.