Re II: Resolving Identifiers

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Sep 12 09:43:22 PDT 2003

Hi Ray,

I'm answering your email in the registry list to try and move the discussion
there.

> > Certainly.  But one would like to be able to produce and verify
> > products, e.g., datasets, before publishing them to a registry.

What happens to resources before they are registered is of no relevance to
the VO.

> Okay.  Well, we do have a driver for this in the ADEC
> identifiers.  They
> want an identifier that refers to a dataset.  However, we are not
> currently planning to register individual datasets in IVOA
> registries.
> Thus, in the current model, they wouldn't have an IVOA identifier.

I wish someone would provide a glossary! What do you mean by a dataset and
why is it not being registered? What is being registered?

If you are only going to register services which actually access the data
(which I originally suggested) then why are we bothering to talk about
datasets?

> I feel strongly about the resolvability of identifiers.  That
> is, an identifier is used as a stand-in for a full
> description of a resource.
> So as to not to place any requirements on the context in
> which a global identifer is used, one should be able to
> resolve the identifier to *some* relevent information about it.

You can - just look up the metadata in a registry. You don't need any of the
1, 2 or 3 approaches and they (1 and 2 anyway) would not work since the
ResourceId and its components are meaningless.