IVOA Identifiers Working Draft

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 12:11:12 PDT 2003

Hi Will,

I know what you mean but that approach will plunge us into the morass of
'when is a copy a copy?'. If it is the same bit for bit, yes. What if the
data is the same but it is implemented in a different dbms? What if the
master has changed but the change has not been replicated? What if the copy
has been changed but not in the area I want to query? And what constitutes a
change: a bit, a record, a block of records? Etc.

All these issues are best addressed in the metadata of the resource registry
entry. Separate resources should have unique IDs and we can address 'copy'
issues with metadata fields like 'originalName' or 'copyOfResourceID' or
whatever.

I *do* think the issue of how we identify and classify resource copies
(*and* other relationships) does need addressing, but perhaps not yet.

I personally think the new registry schema that Ray and I were charged with
working up into a proposal (and will be out shortly) and coming up with
standard harvesting protocols are more necessary to get a working
international VO demo built by the end of the year.