IVOA Identifiers Working Draft

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 01:27:03 PDT 2003

Hi Gretchen,

> To sum this up,  there is no central control for id
> assignment for VO resources?

That's right. The uniqueness is handled through the authorityID portion of
the key. The registry has the ability to ensure uniqueness within an
authorityID since it is the only place that a key containing that
authorityID can be created.

But how do we make sure no registry sets up an authorityID already managed
by another? This is something we'll need to address, possibly as part of the
discussions on reigstry harvesting.

One way might be that the metadata for a registry resource includes all the
authorityID's that that registry 'owns' - any new request for an authorityID
to any registry would only need to check against the list of authorityIDs
for all registry-type resources. We'd still need to handle the case where
the same authorityID is requested for separate registries before the
harvesting run of the second - I guess the second will need to disable
resources with that authorityID until the owner changes it???

Referring back to comments on mirrored resources, I think the only way to
proceed is that every resource in the VO is uniquely identified and whether
or not it is a mirror should be part of the metadata for that resource.