Minutes MWG 2003-09-25

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 15:14:12 PDT 2003

Hi Ray,

> Slide 2 of Keith's planary presentation at Cambridge
> (http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2003ResReg/RWP04p
> lenaryPresentation.pdf)
> entitled "Accomplishments" has the bullet:  "Agreed to adopt VOQL once
> available".

Good grief! So we did. It's hard to believe we were so naïve only four
months ago!

> In my recollection, the motivation for this starts with the realization
> that ADQL is meant for querying VO databases.  A registry is a database.
> The queries that the database will have to handle have the same
> difficulties that queries to catalogs will have (e.g. handling coverage
> constraints).  Thus, it makes sense to use the same query language.

A registry is not a VO database, in concept at least.

I agree that the cone search is an issue.

Given schema 0.8.2/3, what would a SQL-like query look like?

ADQL was not a term in the general VOQL WG parlance at that time;
nevertheless, this is what the statement in the minutes refers to.

In my recollection, the motivation for this starts with the realization
that ADQL is meant for querying VO databases.  A registry is a database.
The queries that the database will have to handle have the same
difficulties that queries to catalogs will have (e.g. handling coverage
constraints).  Thus, it makes sense to use the same query language.

I'm not sure if ADQL will be sufficiently "available" for our IVOA demos, so
we may see some short term variation in this arena.  That has benefits for
prototyping purposes.