Schema 0.8.3

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 10:35:01 PDT 2003

Hi Bob,

> that there is more to be gained by sticking to DC where we
> can.  If DC is not clear at the user i/f level, we can fix
> that through the i/f.  But we must transmit information on
> the wire using DC where we can. We will do more and better
> astronomy if we stick with DC.

As I've tried to get across, I am perfectly happy for us to 'transmit
information on the wire using DC' (I assume this means providing an OAI
compliant harvesting interface). But this really does not mean having to use
DC names anywhere in the schema. If the name means the same in both fields
then let's use it but if not, we can use the astronomy term in our schemas
and translate to DC term at the harvesting interface. The translation will
happen anyway whether the names are the same or not so why not use astronomy
terms.

> Tony suggested that some of the DC elements, like
> "publishers, contacts, creators, and contributors" were not
> relevant for locating resources of interest.  This is simply
> not true.  Astronomers always refer to catalogs by their

I stand corrected - my expertise is systems building, not astronomy.

> minor details. This composition is becoming baroque, or even
> rococo, and the complexity is overwhelming the structure.  We

Quite the opposite. From a software point of view a single monolithic schema
is incredibly complex - so many decisions have to be hard coded into the
software - systems built on such a schema simply won't work together. A
structured schema in which most decisions are encoded into the schema makes
the software much simpler and interoperability easier to ensure.

> There were some comments about the Date element.  RM metadata
> describes the Resource, not the registry.  We must be

Again, if it is needed for astro info then fine. I find the name 'Date'
extremely uninformative though.

I'm happy for the RM document to exclude meta-metadata but it ought to be in
the schema for registry interop reasons.

> load.  Our fundamental building blocks are DC terms, to which
> we add the pieces we need to accommodate our discipline.  If

The 'Dublin Core metadata element set is a standard for cross-domain
information resource description' (http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/)
but for resource description *within* astronomy we should use relevant terms
and structures. DC compliance for cross-domain purposes is *easy* to add on.