Facility and Instrument

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Oct 1 02:17:31 PDT 2003

> I presume that the motivation for this idea comes from the
> concern that
> Facility and Instrument do not apply consistently to all possible
> resources.  Is this still a concern?  If yes, what classes of
> resources
> would want to prevent the application of these metadata?

This is indeed my concern - I definitely oppose having them as standard
parts of Resource. It is less of a problem is classes down the inheritance
tree include information not always used but we should avoid this at the
very top level.

> Personally, I would prefer that we go either with Tony's relationship
> suggestion or to keep them as optional elements of the
> generic Resource.

I'd prefer that we either use Relationship or create a new Installation
class (or some other generic name) which can have types of Facility,
Instrument etc.