Authority resource class

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 1 00:56:21 PDT 2003

Hi Tony,

I've been playing with the Authority resource class with our modified
structure, and I'm wondering if we need to register AuthorityIDs as
separate resources.

A possible alternative is to have the AuthorityIDs listed as metadata of
the Organization that owns them.
  Advantages:
   +  simpler: when multiple authIDs folded into the Organization
      description, there's less information to provide when registering a
      new authID.
   +  use of xsi:nil="true" is not needed (otherwise, the Authority
      description must use the xsi:nil in the its Identifer/ResourceKey).
      It allows us to be hard-nosed about requiring a ResourceKey with an
      identifier in all cases (by removing nillable="true").

  Disadvantages:
   -  Must update the Organization description with each new authID
      "registered".  ??

thoughts?